Pregnancy is a challenging and exciting process that brings many changes in the female body. There are many changes in the mother arising from changes in hormonal balances since the beginning of pregnancy and arising from the adaptation process to the growing baby and womb in the following months. One of these conditions, which is seen as common in expectant mothers along with pregnancy is pregnancy discharge. Physiological discharge secreted for the purpose of providing moisture in the vagina in women, protecting the genital area from infections and increasing slipperiness is a normal condition and occurs in all healthy women of reproductive age. Having a transparent or whitish color and a mild, non-disturbing odor, it is normal for this discharge to increase slightly during pregnancy. Read on to find out what needs to be known about the state of pregnancy discharge, early pregnancy discharge and early signs of pregnancy discharge
What is Discharge Pregnancy?
Vaginal discharge that starts with adolescence in women is a normal condition that has an important place in women’s health. This fluid, called physiological discharge, ensures that the vagina is moist and slippery to ensure sexual intercourse. It also helps sperm cells advance. During pregnancy, many expectant mothers seek answers to questions such as whether there is discharge during pregnancy, what is discharge like water during pregnancy and why it causes white discharge during pregnancy. The issue that expectant mothers with such question marks should know is that the increase in discharge during pregnancy is a normal condition. There are more than one reason for the increase of discharge during pregnancy. Changing hormone levels cause an increase in discharge fluid with its effect on the expanding vagina wall. Increased blood flow to the vagina surface and the muscles it contains can be stated as another reason that increases the discharge. Therefore, increased vaginal discharge is an ordinary part of the pregnancy process. However, in some pregnant women, there is no significant increase in the amount of discharge, while in others there may be 2-3 times more discharge compared to the period before pregnancy. This is a situation that can vary from person to person and pregnant women should consult their physician if they think their discharge is abnormal.
Is Discharge Normal During Pregnancy?
Vaginal discharge with a mild odor that does not disturb white or transparent color during pregnancy is considered normal. In fact, this discharge is also called pregnancy discharge among the people. pre-pregnancy with observed also significantly increase discharge physiologically normal pregnancy though different views, stream having a color and smell is predictive of some problem or disease. In particular, it is highly susceptible to genital infection during pregnancy. Sometimes, pink, yellow and brown currents may not indicate any problems, but pregnant women should definitely apply to their physicians to make sure of this and make the necessary examination and diagnostic tests by mentioning the problem in detail.
When does Discharge Start During Pregnancy?
The increase in discharge during pregnancy usually starts between the first 6th and 8th weeks, with the onset of pregnancy. This is because important changes in hormonal balances occur during this period. This discharge usually continues throughout pregnancy and gradually decreases after some time after birth. In the postpartum period, there is a dark discharge at the beginning. It gradually turns light brown and then turns yellow. It is also normal to have clots in the discharge seen during the postpartum period. This process, which lasts for a period of 6 weeks to 2 months, gradually decreases after 2 months after birth and returns to its pre-pregnancy order.
Current Colors and Meanings in Pregnancy
Conditions such as fragrant discharge during pregnancy, discharge in different colors may be normal or may indicate some problems and diseases. We can list what the discharge color can indicate during pregnancy as follows:
- Brown Discharge in Pregnancy: It can be considered normal for normal vaginal discharge to approach brown in the type of spotting during pregnancy. However, it is unusual for mothers to have a brownish discharge such as mud during pregnancy and brown discharge during pregnancy to have a thick or unpleasant smell in the consistency and require a doctor.
- Yellow Discharge in Pregnancy: As with pre and post pregnancy periods, yellow discharge during pregnancy is usually a sign of infection. Physicians should be consulted, as vaginal infections can progress and cause more serious problems when not treated.
- White Discharge in Pregnancy: It is an indication that the vaginal discharge has a white or transparent color, has a slimy consistency and does not have an unpleasant smell. This flow, which increases towards the end of the pregnancy period, means that there is generally no problem.
- Green Discharge in Pregnancy: Just like yellow discharge, a green vaginal discharge is indicative of infection. Mothers who have a green discharge problem during pregnancy should apply to their physicians.
- Pink Blemish During Pregnancy: Bleeding seen in the type of spotting during the first trimester of pregnancy (usually in the first trimester) causes currents that appear as pink spots in pregnancy or brown spots in pregnancy. These currents, which are evaluated as normal, are generally called as implantation bleeding. However, if it is seen in later stages of pregnancy, pink discharge during pregnancy may be a precursor of some diseases or preterm birth and should be taken to the physician immediately and be consulted immediately.
- Pregnancy Due Date Calculator